Monday, February 24, 2014

Lavender...so much more than sachets!

Since I've become a mother, I've been using essential oils for all sorts of things. I started during my pregnancy, as I was preparing for childbirth. I was planning a natural childbirth and so began researching which essential oils could help me achieve my goals. I had several by my side during labor and deliver, to include Clary Sage, Jasmine and Lavender.  Once our baby girl came along, I've been using Tea Tree Oil in our homemade bum wipes; and when she had chest congestion this winter, I used a balm of Eucalpytus, Lavender, and Chamomile on her chest to help her breathe and sleep better.

Maybe I'll talk about the rest in future posts, but today, I want to talk about Lavender. We use it all of the time...or if you're like me, you used it before you even thought about essential oils. It came in sachets for my unmentionables (ha). I sprayed in onto my pillow in a pillow spray before bedtime! And I had it in all sorts of bath time goodness: bath bombs, bath oils, soaps and hair products! Now that I've entered the essential oils world (and, full disclosure, I've become an Independent Young Living Distributor)...I've learned so many of the benefits of this amazing essential oil...beyond just the relaxing scent!

Here are just a few of the great uses for lavender:

I've been eyeing a pin on Pinterest about lavender lemonade. It looks so good....it's purple! But, I am the worst at growing plants! I have tried to grow lavender several times, to no avail. I am chalking it up to living in hot climates...I've tried in both Texas and Miami. (It's surely not that I have no green thumb!) 

So, now that I have therapeutic grade lavender in Young Living's Essential Oils (and someone else is successfully doing the growing for me), I figured I have a chance to try it out. So, I looked at the pin and she uses sugar, fresh lavender and fresh lemons (and, GASP, food coloring for the purple color! I've been set up!!). Here is the recipe I used as a guide Centsational Girl's Lavender Lemonade.

I used Young Living Lavender Essential Oil, YL Lemon Essential Oil, and stevia extract. The first cup I made, I left out the stevia. It was fine until I reached the bottom of the glass...then it tasted a bit like soap. So, I added a few drops of stevia in the next glass, and I am in heaven. Not only does it taste amazing, but I also feel like I'm sitting on a hilltop overlooking fields of lavender in France. ;) And who would want to pass up these additional benefits:
 Lavender Essential Oils:
  • Balance normal body functions
  • Soothes and relaxes the mind and body
  • Eases bodily tension and stress
Lemon Essential Oils:
  • Boosts natural defenses
  • Promotes energy and mental clarity
  • Refreshing

Please be advised that I only recommend this with therapeutic grade Young Living Essential Oils. Not all EOs are created equally. You can check the packaging and see that many EOs are not meant to be ingested. But, most Young Living Oils can be ingested either neat (without diluting in oil or another carrier) or diluted. Check out my website on more information on Young Living products and feel free to contact me for any more information!

Now for the details:

Young Living Lavender Lemonade

2-3 Drops YL Lemon EO
2-3 Drops YL Lavender EO
2 or more drops (to taste) liquid stevia or powdered stevia to taste
24 oz. filtered water

Stir gently and pour over water for a refreshing drink! (And please accept my apologies for it not being purple.) 


Note: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. And this information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment